Chapter 1 of the Howard Zinn Book, A People's History of the United States
I. Read Chapter 1 of the Howard Zinn Book, A People's History of the United States http://www.historyisaweapon.com/defcon1/zinncol1.html (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
II. Answer the following questions. (Please type questions first and answer underneath.)
Remember: This is a college level course. Your responses should reflect as much. High level and detailed answers are the expectations.
1. What conclusions can be made about the Arawaks, their culture, and temperament?
2. What was Columbus promised if he was successful in his exploration attempts?
3. Who was Rodrigo and why is he significant? Have you ever read or known of of Rodrigo before reading this chapter? If not, why do you think that is?
4. Why did Columbus think the Arawak Indians had large amounts of gold?
5. What was the ultimate fate of the Arawak Indians?
6. How did Columbus receive the reward of a second expedition?
7. In what ways did the Arawak Indians resist/fight back the Spaniards?
8. What does LaCasa's views of Columbus and the Spaniards offer to the study of history?
9. What is genocide? How does it connect to the story of Columbus and the Arawak Indians?
10. Record the three most important things that Zinn says about the writing of history. Briefly evaluate his assertions.