Charlene Romani September 12, 2013
firstname.lastname@example.org Extra Credit
Chapter 3 (p.82 Q. 1,2,3,4 & 5)
1. Consider the three environments of a firm. Which of the environments has the most direct and immediate impact on the firm? Which of the environments has a more diffuse and delayed impact? Explain.
(Answer Pg. 65)
The task environment supplies functional information more readily. The manager in this case can identify environmental factors of specific interest to the organization. The task environment consists of competitors, regulators, customers, suppliers, and strategic planners. These factors can vary on a day to day basis. The vitality and role they play on firms is what creates is immediate and direct impact on firms. Lets take case of Taco Bell a few years back, when a foodborne illness arose from their infected meat. After several consumers grew sick from damaged products, the number of customers plummeted. Another example of its immediate impact is when suppliers, who are for the most part stable, are affected by some natural disaster and cannot supply raw materials in time. The firm must find an immediate resolution or else face serious consequences. General environments on the other hand offer a vague, diffused and delayed impact on firms. The main reason for this is because the general environmental factors offer long term results. These dimensions stay relatively constant from day to day. A shifting of demographics takes time, it doesn't occur overnight.
2. Describe the organizations' general environment. For each dimension, give at least one specific example, other than the examples mentioned in your text.
An organizations general environment consists of broad forces and five dimensions in its surroundings.
political legal dimension
3. What are the major forces that affect organization-environment relationships? Describe those factors.
4. Describe the four approaches to organizational effectiveness. Give a specific example of something that a company should measure in order to evaluate its effectiveness under each approach.
5. Elements from the general environment affect al organizations, but they may not affect all organizations in the same way. Choose an industry and discuss the impact of at least two different elements from the general environment on firms in that industry. Are all firms affected equally? Explain.
Chapter 4 (p.112 Q. 1,2,3,4 & 5)
1.Discuss managerial ethics. three areas of special ethical concern for managers, and how organizations manage ethical behavior. (bullets in text)
2. Identify and summarize key emerging ethical issues in organizations today.
3. Discuss the concept of social responsibility, specify to whom or what an organization might be considered responsible, and describe four types of organizational approaches to social responsibility.
4. Explain the relationship between the government and organizations regarding social responsibility.
5.Describe some of the activities organizations may engage in to manage social responsibility.
Chapter 5 (p.144 Q.1,2,3,4 & 8)
1.Describe the four basic levels of international business activity. Do you think any organization will achieve the fourth level? Why or why not?
2.For each of the four globalization strategies, describe the risks associated with that strategy and the potential returns from that strategy.
3. Describe the various types of political controls on international trade. Be sure to highlight the differences between the types.
4.Explain the relationship between organizational size and globalization. Are large firms the only ones that are global?
8.Use the internet to locate information about a company that is using a global strategic alliance or global joint venture. (Hint: Almost any large multinational firm will be involved in these ventures, and you can find information at corporate home pages.) What do you think are the major goals for the venture? DO you expect that the firm will accomplish its goals? If so, why? If not, what stands in its way?