this article Grandma's Experiences Leave a Mark on Your Genes
• Master pre-reading and reading strategies for different texts
• Understand how genre and intended audience shapes reading and writing
• Determine the logic to the ordering of ideas in a text and identify transitions as signposts to the different parts of texts
• Annotate a reading by identifying main ideas and supporting evidence
• Recognize the effect of perspective and purpose on tone, organization, and vocabulary choice
• Summarize accurately
To complete this assignment successfully
• Read and annotate the article, noting in the margins the main purpose of each paragraph
• Underline the main points of the article and number the evidence that supports it
• Try making an outline of the article
• Determine the article’s thesis (implicit or explicit)
• Make a list of what to include in your summary.
• Draft, paying careful attention to attribution of ideas and/or citations
• Review paraphrases
o Do you correctly surmise the thesis of the article?
o Do you accurately report all the main and supporting points for this thesis?
o Have you represented the author’s ideas clearly without distortion?
o Have you represented the authors ides concisely without including unnecessary detail?
o Have you used attributive tags to discuss the author’s arguments?
o Have you used your own words with few quotes and adequate paraphrase?
o Have you followed summary conventions mentioning the title and the author of the article?
o Have you included a works cited page?