Assignment: Recruitment And Selection Plan
eview the Learning Resources on recruitment and selection of job applicants. Pay particular attention to Chapter 5 of your Fried & Fottler text on the interview process and developing effective interview questions. Also review the document, “Recruitment and Selection Plan: Guidelines and Worksheet,” found in the Week 2 Learning Resources, to assist your preparation for the Module 1 Assignment.
Recruitment and Selection Plan Instructions & Worksheet
Module 1 Assignment
Recruitment and Selection Plan
Instructions & Worksheet
For your Module 1 Assignment, you will use a job description of your choice to create a Recruitment and Selection Plan for filling the job with the most qualified candidate. The Assignment has two parts.
This worksheet provides the instructions and an information organizer for completing Parts 1 and 2 of the Assignment.
Part 1: Analyze a Job Description
Part 1 Tasks
Fill in with notes or a draft response.
1) Identify a job description from your current healthcare organization or where you have previously worked. Choose a job description that will enable you to determine the type of employees you are looking for and what the hiring criteria will be.
Your chosen job description:
2) Focus on developing and refining the job description. Describe:
· What are responsibilities of this job?
· What are the competencies and KSAOs (knowledge, skills, abilities, other attributes) required for this job?
· How would you evaluate a candidate to determine fit for this position?
· How could the job description be improved to ensure a successful hiring process?
Job description revisions:
3) How could you use social media platforms and general job search websites and nursing career sites to maximize the field of potential recruits? Consider how jobs are presented to interested job seekers on these sites for insights and ideas to apply.
Job presentation ideas/insights from social media and online job search websites:
Part 1 Assignment:
Job Description Analysis
In a Word document, write 2–3 pages to include the following:
· Explain the role of the nurse executive in developing job descriptions and why it represents an essential human resource management function.
· Analyze the job description you have selected as the focus of your Assignment. Include the source of the job description and critique the job description for clarity and accuracy.
· Explain how well the job description defines the required employee attributes for the job and how it could be improved. If information is available, describe how the tasks and competencies associated with this job may have changed since the job description was conceived.
· Write a new or revised job description that reflects your analysis and which you would use for advertising the position and recruiting candidates for the job.
· Explain how you would use social media and online job search technology to maximize presentation of the job description and reach a broader share of potential recruits.
· Describe two examples from social media and online job sites you visit of how jobs similar to your chosen position are presented to interested job seekers.
Part 2: Design an Interview and Selection Plan
Part 2 Tasks
Fill in with notes or a draft response.
Based on the job description you provide in Assignment Part 1, develop a plan for interviewing candidates for that target job.
1) For the job competencies and KSAOs (knowledge, skills, abilities, and other attributes) that you identified in Part 1:
· Identify information sources for assessing candidates (e.g., credentials, past work experiences, references, material submitted in the job application, and interview questions).
· Prioritize and evaluate the different skills and tasks for the job.
· Identify which specific competencies/KSAOs are best assessed with the use of interview questions (which may supplement other sources, such as checking references).
· Design interview questions for each competency/KSAO to be assessed.
Information sources for assessing competencies and KSAOs for this specific job, by type and priority:
Skills and tasks for the job (in order of priority):
Competencies/KSAOs best assessed through interview questions:
Sample interview questions for each competency/KSAO listed above (at least five interview questions total):
2) Identify how you will rate candidates:
· What will be considered excellent, acceptable, or poor responses to interview questions?
· What rater biases may be present in the job selection process, and how will you address rater bias?
Addressing rater bias:
· Who will be involved in the interview process and what training will be provided to interviewers?
Who interviews this candidate?
Interview training required/recommended:
· How will interview impressions be consolidated?
Plan for consolidating interviewers’ impressions:
How will divergent views be resolved?
Plan for resolving interviewers’ divergent views:
3) Describe the ideal candidate for this job and, after hiring, how to retain that individual.
The ideal candidate:
4) Analyze the recruitment and selection process from an interviewee’s perspective, drawing on your own experiences.
5) Identify issues to consider in analyzing the interview and selection process (e.g., internal vs. external applicants), specific challenges; positive and negative outcomes.
6) Explain how to improve the interview and selection process.
Ideas/strategies to improve the interview and selection process:
Part 2 Assignment:
Interview and Selection Plan
In a Word document, write 3–4 pages to include the following:
· Describe the ideal candidate for this job, and explain the sources of information you would use in evaluating applicants.
· Explain an overview of your process to identify and select that candidate.
· Focusing on the interview, explain:
· Who within the healthcare organization would be involved in the interview process, and why
· Pre-interview guidance and preparation for interviewers and recruits
· How interview outcomes would be compiled
· How differences in interview ratings would be resolved
· List five essential questions you would ask in an interview to evaluate key employee characteristics for this job. For each question, explain what you would look and listen for in the candidate’s response.
· Explain how you would measure a candidate and assess the recruit’s fitness for the position.
· Analyze your interview and selection process for potential challenges, and explain how you would address those challenges to improve the process and outcomes, including retaining good employees.
Submit Part 1 and Part 2 of the Assignment in one Word file.